Following the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka, we continue to monitor the situation closely. Both the President and the Sri Lankan Army Chief have confirmed that life has resumed normalcy with hotels, schools and churches now open. The Government says that they have now arrested all the members involved in the attacks.
We are also closely monitoring the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) that currently advises against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka remains open and some clients have enquired about the possibility of travel during this period, however it is essential that the FCO advice and insurance policies are comprehensively considered.
Our hearts and thoughts are with all those that were affected as a result of these terrorist attacks.
- A collection of hotels and local partners in Sri Lanka have put together a wonderful initiative to help with local updates and general information for travellers. Please visit the Sri Lanka Tourism Alliance portal at
- Country wide curfew no longer in force and State Schools opened on 6th
- Sri Lanka Army Chief has assured that the security situation is back to normal with the 85 percent of suspects linked to the Easter Sunday attacks under arrest.
- President Maithripala Sirisena made a wide-ranging statement today saying that normalcy had been restored in Sri Lanka and that the security operation following the Easter Day Bombings had been “99% completed”, with almost all involved now in army custody
- Support for Sri Lanka continues:
Thank you Katie Bowman, Features Editor from Sunday Times Travel Magazine writes about Sri Lanka.
Dear Friends & Partners,
Further to the terrible Easter Sunday atrocities in Sri Lanka we would like to write on behalf of all of the Sri Lanka Bespoke team to thank everyone who has been so kind as to reach out and share heartfelt messages of support.The Easter Sunday attacks are an assault on the hearts of Sri Lankan people, the people that visit their country and anybody else across the world that wants to live in peace and harmony. Sri Lanka is one of the few countries in the world where you will find all religions living peacefully alongside each other and with profound mutual respect. So it is heartbreaking that Sri Lanka has been targeted in this way.
We would like to thank you if you have chosen to travel to Sri Lanka in the past. We hope that you’ll have not only seen and experienced for yourself the country’s incredible natural beauty but also the immediate warmth and welcome of the Sri Lankan people who have nothing but genuine hospitality to share with its visitors.
We very much hope that you will continue to support Sri Lanka as you have done in the past. These egregious acts cannot be allowed to define Sri Lanka as a nation – terrorist attacks happen across the globe as I’m sure many of us have experienced in our own countries. The Sri Lankan people remain united and these acts of terror will not divide. Sri Lanka will be shining again very soon.
We are thankful that none of our friends, immediate family or clients were harmed in the attacks but many of our neighbours have experienced terrible losses. Some of you have enquired about making a donation. If you would like to do this we can recommend Ocean Stars, a UK Registered Charity who are coordinating the response according to the local needs in Sri Lanka. (Please use Easter Sunday Appeal as your reference).
If you are due to travel to Sri Lanka with us in the coming months, we will be in touch directly to discuss your travel plans.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.